Returning Officer for the 2017 General Election – Wairarapa areaAbout the Electoral Commission | Te Kaitiaki Take Kōwhiri
The Electoral Commission wants every New Zealander to trust, value and take part in parliamentary elections.
We are an independent Crown entity who works with and through communities to inform, engage and educate New Zealanders about the value of participation, make it easy for them to enrol and vote, promote understanding of New Zealand’s democratic processes, and deliver parliamentary elections and referendums.Be part of something important
We have a vacancy for a Returning Officer to assist with the delivery of the 2017 General Election in the Wairarapa area.
The role is not only important for the country but exciting and satisfying. This will be New Zealand’s biggest logistical event in 2017. It involves 18,000 staff, 2,700 voting places and 3 million voters in every community across the country.
Returning Officer will be responsible for:
- Managing advance voting and election day voting;
- Finding voting places;
- Recruiting voting place staff;
- Training and resourcing voting place staff;
- Reporting election night results and
- Conducting the official count for their electorate
This is a fixed term position.
Returning Officers begin intermittent duties from February 2017 and will work full-time for the 12 weeks around election day. You will be provided excellent training and the full support of a committed national office team to ensure the successful delivery of the election in your electorate.Is this the role for you?
We welcome applications from people who:
- Communicate effectively
- Work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Are planned and organised with a high attention to detail
- Can lead and build an effective team
- Will build and maintain effective relationships with broad range of people
- Have knowledge/awareness of different cultures
- Are confident with computers with a sound working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel and Outlook)
Applications for secondments from within the Public Sector are welcome.
To apply for this role please go to www.jobs.govt.nz
(job number 1254202). Alternatively a job description and application form is available by emailing email@example.com
Applications close at 5pm on Wednesday, 25 January 2017.